Sausage Tortellini Soup with spinach is a quick soup made on the stove all in one pot for a hearty, creamy soup full of spinach, sausage, and cheese tortellini for an Italian sausage tortellini soup. The soup was a last-minute weeknight meal thrown together around the cheese tortellini. This soup recipe can easily have chicken substituted for the sausage and be just as yummy.
By mid-week, I am kicking myself for not making a meal plan so I don’t have to think about what to make. This tortellini soup was truly a lucky dinner win based on what I was able to pull together with what was already in my fridge.
Sausage Tortellini Soup Ingredients
Much like the crockpot creamy tomato sausage tortellini soup, the stars of this are definitely the ground pork or sausage and the cheese tortellini. But to make this soup you will want a few other key ingredients in this creamy tortellini soup.
Creamy sausage tortellini soup ingredients are:
- Ground pork
- Cheese tortellini
- Shredded carrots
- Chicken base
- Italian Seasoning
- Red pepper flakes – optional
- Parmesan Cheese
- Sun-Dried tomatoes – Optional
How to Make Tortellini Soup
To begin making this soup, start browning the ground pork, onions, garlic, and Italian seasoning in a large Dutch oven or soup pot.
When the sausage is browned and crumbled, add the shredded carrots and steam the spinach. Stir the chicken base and steamed spinach into the ground pork.
Slowly add water to the pot and bring to a rolling boil. Then add the cheese tortellini to the pan. If you are using sun-dried tomatoes, chop those up and add them now as well.
Let simmer for five minutes and then add the cream cheese and heavy cream. Stir to incorporate and melt the cream cheese. If you want a creamier soup use more cream cheese, and if you want a brothier soup, use less cream cheese.
Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound Italian Sausage browned
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons Italian Dressing Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 10 ounces spinach steamed
- 6 cups water
- 20 ounce refrigerator cheese tortellini
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes optional
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Mix together all the ground pork, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes in a large stock pot and Dutch oven..
- Mix into the chicken base, shredded carrots, and steamed spinach. Then slowly add the water. Bring to a boil and then add tortellini and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Mix in the cream cheese, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese. Stir until all the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese.
Shared on Weekend Potluck