During the winter, we are lovers of soup. Everything from chili to chicken and wild rice soup to the creamy sausage tortellini soup is all favorites in our house. Being on a low carb diet has made it tougher for me to make soups we all love. When I was getting asked to make my crock pot creamy sausage tortellini soup, I decided it was time to figure out how to make the soups to at least have a low-carb base even if the finished soups are different. Low carb creamy tomato sausage soup is one of my new favorite keto soups this winter.
Low Carb Creamy Tomato Sausage Soup Ingredients
- Low sugar tomato sauce
- Cream cheese
- Heavy whipping cream
- Roasted Garlic Better than Bouillon – This stuff is the best.
- Onions, if your diet will allow. The onions can completely be left out of this recipe.
How to make keto sausage soup
In a dutch oven or large soup pan, begin by adding the sausage and begin browning it. If you are using onion in this recipe, saute the onion with the sausage. When the sausage is completely cooked, add the Better than Bouillon, tomato sauce and cream cheese to the pan. Over low heat continue to stir until the cream cheese is completely melted.
When the cream cheese is completely melted, add the heavy whipping cream. I add the cream to the tomato sauce jar to wash out any leftover sauce and pour this into the pan of tomato sauce and sausage to create the low carb creamy tomato sausage soup.
Continue to stir to combine. The flavors will continue to intensify as you stir. Feel free to add your favorite Italian herbs to the soup I definitely add more dried basil because makes any Italian soup even better.
If your family freaks out and is like where is the pasta, separately cook tortellini and have them add it to the soup just like the sausage tortellini soup. But this soup doesn’t leave you missing anything.
Tips for Making Low-Carb Soups
- Use full-fat ingredients. Low-carb dairy products tend to have higher carb counts. Go for the full-fat dairy.
- Watch for added sugar. Many seasonings are made with sugar in them. Read the ingredients in your seasoning mixes. If sugar is added to them, use the individual seasonings instead of a premade mix.
- Don’t overdo the garlic and onions. Both garlic and onions can carry more carbs than we think. Don’t put too many in the soup.
- Thicken with xanthan gum. If you want a thicker soup, don’t reach for the flour or cornstarch. Go for the xanthan gum, but note it can get gummy. A little goes a long way.
This low carb creamy tomato sausage soup also heats up perfectly for a great lunch the day or two after you make it. I am always looking to take low carb leftovers to work for easy lunches.
Are you new to low carb dieting? Check out my tips on How to stock your kitchen for low carb or keto dieting.
Low Carb Creamy Tomato Sausage Soup
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup onions, diced optional
- 23.5 ounce jar no sugar added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic Better than Bouillon
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan such as a dutch oven or soup pan, brown the sausage and onions if you are using onions.
- When completely cooked, add the tomato sauce, cream cheese and better than bouillon to the pan. Stir to combine and cook over a medium to medium-low heat until the cream cheese is melted.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and herbs to the soup. Simmer until ready to eat.
Shared on Meal Plan Monday.