I am totally hooked to anything with almond flavoring. I asked my mom if she had a great recipe with almond flavoring. She suggested I make an almond poppy seed bread with orange butter glaze. This almond poppy seed bread with orange butter glaze is an amazing sweet bread recipe if you are looking for a change to a traditional lemon bread.
How to Make Almond Poppy Seed Bread
Start by adding a stick of softened butter and two cups of sugar to your mixing bowl.Cream together.Add three eggs and mix some more.When the eggs are incorporated, add a cup and a half of milk.Add a half a cup of vegetable oil and about a teaspoon of orange zest.Then add a teaspoon of almond extract and a teaspoon and a half of vanilla.Then combine your dry ingredients; three cups of flower, a teaspoon and a half of baking powder and salt, and three tablespoons of poppy seeds.Pour into batter and mix until just blended.Pour into two loaf pans. Don’t fill over ⅔ full.Bake for about an hour on 350 degrees.
How to Make Orange Butter Glaze
Now, for the orange butter glaze. Begin in one bowl combine ¼ cup OJ, ½ teaspoon almond extract and vanilla extract.Melt two teaspoons of butter in another bowl.Add two cups of powdered sugar to the butter and stir together.Pour OJ mixture into sugar and butter and stir until completely smooth.Poke holes to the top of the cooled bread and pour glaze over top.This poppy seed bread bathed in the orange butter glaze is pure bliss. Dessert. Breakfast. Snack. Bliss.
Breakfast Pastry Recipes
Almond Poppy Seed Bread with Orange Butter Glaze
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- ¼ cup prepared orange juice
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Cream together butter and sugar; add eggs. Add remaining liquid ingredients and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds; add to the liquid mixture and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into two 9x5 inch loaf pans filling ⅔ full (see note below). Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before glazing.
- For the glaze, combine butter and powdered sugar. In another small bowl combine OJ vanilla and almond extract. Stir into sugar and butter. Poke holes into top of bread and pour over the cooled bread.