Baked Mostaccioli recipe is a simple sausage and pasta recipe full of cheese guaranteeing your family will love this easy casserole recipe. Easy-to-make dinner recipes are a must in the midst of school and extra-curricular activities. If you are on the hunt for new recipes to add to your weekly meal plan, this oldie-but-goodie recipe needs to be added to the menu.
I have a lot Italian recipes on my blog. The jarred tomato sauces make it so easy to make a quick and filling meal. This mostaccioli recipe is so similar to my creamy penne and sausage skillet recipe but oven baked. It is also so similar to tortellini casserole bake.
What is in Mostaccioli?
Mostaccioli is a smooth penne pasta. So, the Mostaccioli bake is a hearty Italian casserole made with pasta, sausage, tomato sauce, cheese, and lots of seasoning.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make the mostaccioli recipe:
- Mostaccioli Pasta - Any shape pasta will work in this recipe, but for true mostaccioli, the mostaccioli noodles are a must. You can also use penne, ziti, or rigatoni-shaped pasta too.
- Pork Sausage - Italian sausage is the best option here but also using just ground pork with Italian seasoning is also a perfect way to make this recipe. Ground beef can also be used in the casserole.
- Garlic - Fresh garlic cloves, minced adds a robust garlic flavor to the recipe.
- Cottage or Ricotta Cheese - Preference to one or the other here is your call. I always have cottage cheese in the fridge, so it tends to be my go-to option. However, you can use ricotta in this recipe too.
- Spaghetti Sauce - The sauce of your liking is fine for this recipe. No special type or kind is necessary.
- Parmesan Cheese - Grated parmesan cheese works just perfect to add to the recipe. Romano or a combination of Parmesan and Romano cheeses works as well.
- Mozzarella cheese - Shredded mozzarella cheese or an Italian blend of cheese is what you will need to make this casserole extra cheesy.
- Herbs and spices - Parsley, basil, salt, and pepper are all necessary to really bring out the flavors.
Additionals ingredients you can add include onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Honestly any vegetable you would put on a pizza you can add to this Italian casserole recipe.
How to Make Mostaccioli?
To start, preheat the oven to 350° and begin making the pasta to the label directions. Meanwhile, start browning the sausage in a large skillet or 3-quart saucepan. If you are using ground pork, add the Italian seasoning to the pork as it browns. Also add the minced garlic to the meat when it is almost fully cooked.
When the meat is completely cooked, remove it from heat and stir in the cottage cheese or ricotta cheese, parsley, basil, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, and half the spaghetti sauce. Stir to combine and then fold in the cooked pasta to toss to combine.
Spoon the mostaccioli into a 13x9 casserole dish. Then pour the remaining spaghetti sauce over the casserole. Top off the mostaccioli with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
Bake the mostaccioli for 30 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly.
Variations to Bake Mostaccioli
Want to make an ooey gooey baked Italian casserole but don't have the exact ingredients for mostaccioli? Here are some easy ways to change up the recipe.
- Skillet Sausage and Penne - Make a recipe so similar to this but entirely on the stove top with no need to bake it.
- Hamburger and Noodle Bake - Use tomato soup instead of spaghetti sauce for a creamy baked hamburger casserole.
- Pizza Casserole - If you love pizza and want a pasta bake that tastes like pizza, try this meaty pizza casserole.
What to Serve with Mostaccioli Bake?
This mostaccioli bake is a hearty casserole recipe, so you don't need a lot to go along with it. A good Ceasar salad and English muffin garlic toast can be the perfect compliments to the casserole. The air fryer broccoli is also a great side to any casserole recipe.
Weeknight Meal Essentials
Having all the ingredients on hand helps to make this pasta casserole one of my weeknight staple meals. Also, having your favorite casserole dish helps too. Here are all my favorite kitchen tools, small appliances, and equipment.
Yes! This recipe is great to make and freeze to be baked later or even taken to someone who has had a baby or surgery.
Absolutely another shape pasta can be used. Feel free to use penne or any pasta shape you have on hand.
More Great Casserole Recipes
- 16 ounces Mostaccioli Pasta
- 2 pound Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic
- 28 ounces Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 cup Cottage Cheese or Ricotta Cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon parsley
- ¼ teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella
- Preheat the oven at 350° and begin cooking the pasta according to the label directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, brown the Italian sausage in a large skillet or 3-quart saucepan. Add the minced garlic when the meat is almost fully browned.
- When browned, mix the sauce, cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper into the meat. Then fold the cooked pasta into a greased 13X9 casserole dish.
- Cover the top of the mostaccioli with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.