Anyone else noticing good deals on pork sausages and hot dogs. I have stocked up on grillers, polish sausages, and hot dogs. Now figuring out what to make with all these sausages. I decided to change up a recipe I saw in a couple of different places like The Pioneer Woman and Plain Chicken. Score. Loving this Cajun chicken and smoked sausage pasta recipe and could easily make this with all polish or smoked sausage.
This Cajun chicken and smoked sausage pasta recipe is a quick and easy weeknight meal made in under thirty minutes. The bonus to this cajun pasta recipe? You need to open a bottle of wine to make the dish!!
Cajun Chicken and Smoked Sausage Pasta Ingredients
The ingredients for this simple cajun pasta dish are some of our favorite individual ingredients, including wine!
- Bowtie Pasta
- Chicken breasts or thighs
- Smoked sausage
- White wine like Sauvignon Blanc
- Parmesan cheese
- Cajun Seasoning
How to Make Creamy Cajun Smoked Sausage and Chicken Pasta
Start by dicing up a half a pound of chicken tenderloins or breasts into bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle with your favorite Cajun or creole seasoning.
I used 2 teaspoons to cover the chicken.
I then sauteed the chicken in one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and one tablespoon of butter till the chicken was completely cooked.
While the chicken is cooking, slice up a red onion, bell pepper and one polish sausage link that is approximately a half of a pound.I personally like using the skinless smoked sausage.
Slice the sausage up and set aside.
Have the veggies along with two finely diced cloves of garlic set aside as well.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove chicken from the pan and add the veggies, garlic and smoked sausage to the pan.
Start cooking y0ur pasta now too. Any shape will do. I used a 12-ounce box of bowtie pasta for this dish.
When the veggies and sausage are cooked, remove from pan and get your liquids ready.
Pour a half a cup of the white wine into the skillet to work up the brown pieces from cooking the chicken, sausage, and veggies.
When the pan is deglazed, pour in two cups of heavy whipping cream, half and half, or milk. Stir to combine and heat through.
Then pour chicken, sausage, and veggies back into the pan.
Once the meat and veggies are stirred into the sauce, add the pasta.
I added paprika, a dash of cayenne pepper, and salt at this point.
Stir to coat all the pasta completely.
Since I had an open bottle of wine, I, of course, drank wine with this dish.
A new favorite of the kids too. But, remember my kids like heat in their food. And my kid eats green peppers like apples.
Quick and Easy Dinner Recipes
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with Ham
Hoosier Stew - Green Beans, Potatoes and Smoked Sausage
Creamy Tomato and Sausage Penne Pasta
20-Minute Skillet Pizza Casserole
Cajun Chicken and Smoked Sausage Pasta
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins or breasts cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 pound smoked sausage cut into slices
- 16 ounces pasta cooked al dente (bow ties, rotini, fettuccine)
- 2 teaspoons Cajun or creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 bell peppers sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ cup dry white wine chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, pinot grigio
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream I used half 1% milk and half whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh Basil optional
- Parmesan Cheese optional
- Place chicken and Cajun seasoning in a bowl and toss to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté chicken in butter and oil combination until chicken is tender and cooked, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Reduce heat and add onion, peppers, garlic, and smoked sausage, cook until veggies are tender. Remove from pan.
- Pour wine into the skillet to deglaze, and slowly add heavy cream, heat till just bubbling.
- Add meat and veggies to sauce. Mix together and then stir in pasta.
- Add seasonings and stir to combine. Garnish with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
- Pour over hot linguine and toss with Parmesan cheese.
- Sea Breeze Cocktail - Vodka Cranberry Grapefruit Drink - May 6, 2023
- Italian Coleslaw - April 30, 2023
- Bourbon Peach Slab Pie - Peach Pie Bars 🍑 🥧 - April 1, 2023
Emily @ Zweber Family Farms
That looks fabulous! Our next half of hog should be done in a few weeks. I will pin this recipe to keep it on file. My kids like heat and green peppers too. Weird kids 😉
I am not much for heat or green peppers, so will reduce the seasoning and use red peppers and give this a try. Today I bring Spaghetti Pepperoni Pie. Thanks for hosting and sharing.
Thanks for hosting! We don't have kids yet, but my husband loves spicy stuff so I may have to try this on him.
This looks so good!
Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes
Thanks for hosting. Pinned your recipe to try.
We tried this tonight, with just some cayenne, salt, chipotle, and black pepper on the chicken, as I didn't have any cajun seasoning on hand. We both loved it! Thanks for spicing up a previously bland dish that I otherwise would have likely over looked!