My friends accuse me of not even being able to buy a cake already made from the store and letting it be. They might be right. For my son's birthday, he requested his favorite dessert - strawberries and cream angel food cake aka angel food cake with the cool whip stuff and strawberries. Got it. My mom got all fancy a few years ago for him and made it with white chocolate pudding instead of vanilla like I use for the fresh berry trifle. But for his 13th birthday, I decide the Strawberries and Cream Angel Food Cake would be a sweet combination of cool whip, cheesecake pudding and powdered sugar.
Strawberries and Cream Angel Food Cake Ingredients
The ingredients for this super simple recipe are basic pantry items combined with an angel food cake and fresh strawberries. Here are the ingredients you need to make this semi-homemade angel food cake with strawberries and cream.
- Angel Food Cake - Homemade or store boughten angel food cake will work.
- pudding - The great thing about this recipe is you can also improvise a little bit with the pudding flavor you use. I have made my trifle with vanilla or French vanilla. You can use white chocolate like my mom has in the past or you can go ahead and use the cheesecake pudding I used.
- cool whip
- powdered sugar
How to Make the Angel Food Cake Pudding Dessert
Start by combining the pudding mix with milk and powdered sugar. Then fold the cool whip into the pudding mixture. Let it set and slice the angel food cake in half to have a top and bottom half. If you make the cake homemade, you might even be able to cut it into thirds.
I actually use the top of the cake as the bottom of this dessert. Lay the top layer down on the plat and top the sliced strawberries. Then pour the pudding mixture over the strawberries.
Place the bottom half of the cake on top of the strawberries and pudding mixture. Then pour the pudding mixture over the top and down the middle of the cake.
You can serve this bad boy right away or you can pop it in the fridge to serve later. Good luck keeping the fingers out of it though.
Easy Fruit Desserts and Baked Goods Recipes
Strawberries and Cream Angel Food Cake Dessert
- 1 angel food cake, prepared
- 1 box Cheesecake instant pudding
- 1.5 cups milk
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 container cool whip
- 1 pound strawberries, sliced
- In a bowl, combine the milk, pudding mix, and powdered sugar. Fold the cool whip into the pudding mixture. Set aside
- Cut the cake in half or thirds, horizontally placing the top of the cake top down on a plate.
- Place cut strawberries on the exposed cut edge and then pour pudding mixture over the strawberries.
- Place the bottom half of the cake on the strawberries with the bottom of the cake now as the top.
- Pour the pudding mixture over top of the cake and down the middle. Top with more sliced strawberries.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate till ready to serve. Garnish with additional strawberries.