As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We all have the that swiss steak recipe that has been in our family for four generation. Onions and peppers and tomatoes all cooking slowly together. Well, sometimes I like to break tradition. And I have a lot of round steaks and steaks for swissing. So, I tried something new. French Onion soup inspired swiss steak. I started with the cast iron skillet and ended with my crock pot.
But first, the gravy French onion goodness.
Simply mix a can of French onion soup and a can of cream of mushroom soup together. Pour over top of the steak and season generously with your favorite steak seasoning. And then before you are ready to eat, whip up some mashed potatoes. Or cook some noodles. Or do both. You will want to soak up the gravy.
Slow Cooker French Onion Swiss Steak
- 2 pounds round steak or steak for swissing
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons steak seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 can French onion soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Mix together flour and one tablespoon steak seasoning. Dredge steak in flour. Place steaks in hot skillet. Brown on both sides for 3-4 minutes.
- Once both sides are browned, place in crock pot on a quarter of the sliced onions.
- Place remaining onions in skillet to absorb bits left in the pan for a minute or two and then transfer to crock pot.
- Mix soups together and pour over meat and onions. Sprinkle remaining tablespoon of steak seasoning over the soups.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours