Eggs. I think I completely take my access to eggs for granted. Especially since I have chickens right outside my backdoor. And since we get 24 eggs a day on average, we never have a shortage. This crock pot scrambled eggs casserole is one of our favorite breakfast casserole recipes.
Crock Pot Scrambled Egg Casserole
This casserole is one of those you can make ahead and throw in the fridge till the next day when you need it. The base of the casserole is the meat. I have a scrambled eggs casserole that uses ham, but I used ground pork sausage for this one. And the other part this makes this recipe a winner for any busy person, the Casserole Crock Pot. Seriously, drop this into the crock pot and go run evening activities and brupper will be waiting for you when you get home.
The most important part is the cheesy white sauce that you fold into the scrambled eggs as well. Since I love my microcooker for cooking ground meat, I made the white sauce and cooked the meat at the same time.
Back to the eggs. Let's start by talking about egg size. What size eggs do you buy? Mediums? Larges? Jumbos? Does it matter? Well, if you live in Indiana it does right now. Because buying medium eggs from Kroger means one egg for every dozen bought will be donated to a local food bank. All you have to do is buy a dozen medium eggs. That easy. And while your first thought might be, just one egg for each dozen? That seems cheap or not enough. However, since the program started in April over 63,000 eggs have reached over 5,000 families throughout Indiana. That's a lot of eggs. Can you imagine if it was 63,000 dozens eggs! I am not sure of any food bank that could store that many eggs. Look for the #HATCHForHunger Eggs.
So in this recipe, I used medium sized eggs so all my Hoosier readers would know how to make this casserole with their medium eggs. And you need a dozen medium eggs.
Scramble them up while you heat up a large skillet and melt a few tablespoons of butter. Add some seasoning salt to the eggs as well as milk or cream. Then pour into the well-buttered skillet. And resist scrambling the eggs. Let them cook over a medium heat for a minute and then push the cooked eggs to the center and tilt the pan around to spread the liquid eggs back around. Essentially, you want to keep the eggs in large pieces as much as you can.
Once the eggs are 80% cooked, turn off heat and fold the sausage and green chilies into the eggs. And then add to the cream cheese sauce. folding in carefully. Pour into the greased casserole crock pot dish, cover and throw in the fridge.
Then two hours before you want to eat, pull your casserole out and place it in the crock pot base and cook for two hours on high. This could also be made in the oven by cooking on 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
Don't like sausage and chilies? Try ham and onions or bacon and tomatoes or sausage and mushroom. Whatever you like in a omelette would work in this casserole too.
Get other great recipes over at the weekend potluck.
Crock Pot Scrambled Egg Casserole with Sausage and Green Chilies
- 5 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper each
- 1 8-ounce bar cream cheese
- 12 medium eggs or 10 large eggs
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1, 4 ounce can of green chilies
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Combine milk and corn starch in a sauce pan over medium heat, whisking till smooth. Add two tablespoons of butter and the cream cheese. Continue stirring till boiling for one minute. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper.
- Brown pork sausage, adding the chilies at the end of cooking. I brown my ground meat in the microwave with this handy-dandy device. I microwave frozen sausage for three minutes and then break up before microwaving for another three minutes.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk thoroughly, until the yolks are broken up and the eggs are well combined. Whisk in a teaspoon of seasoning salt. Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Pour in the eggs and cook for a minute or two. Gently push eggs off the bottom to allow more liquid to be spread around. Do not “scramble” the eggs too much.
- When the eggs are nearly cooked with a little moisture left, remove the pan from the heat. Combine the sausage and green chilies combination. Either pour the cream sauce over the top or pour the eggs into the white sauce. Fold the sauce into the eggs. Break up any large egg pieces to spread the egg pieces through the sauce. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Spread the eggs into a well-greased crock pot casserole dish. Let cool, then cover with crock pot lid and refrigerate overnight.
- Cook on high for two hours. Garnish with cilantro if you have it on hand.
- Can be cooked in the oven for 30 minutes on 300.
- Sheet Pan Smoked Sausage, Potatoes, and Broccoli Recipe - January 1, 2022
- Peanut Butter Pie Recipe - No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie - December 26, 2021
- Sugar Cookie Fudge - Christmas Cookie Fudge - December 19, 2021