As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
While I am the queen of pork chops and beef roasts, my family cannot live on just meat alone. One of the most requested side dishes in our house is either my quick mac and cheese or these quick cheesy potatoes. Quick cheesy potatoes are an easy loaded cheesy potatoes recipe with all of your loaded baked potato toppings that can be done in under 20 minutes. The great thing about these potatoes is you can make them as simple or loaded as your family likes their baked potatoes.
Easy Cheesy Potatoes
The key to making this recipe easy is it can all be made on one plate in the microwave. That keeps the dishes to a minimum. Start by putting small red potatoes on a large plate and poke holes in the potatoes in two places with forks. I normally make two to three pounds of the small red potatoes. They will fill a whole dinner plate. Then place in the microwave. My microwave has a potato cook setting. If yours does not have this setting, cook on high for 10 minutes.
When the potatoes are done cooking, you will be able to easily smash the potatoes with a fork. Smash each potato. It is completely fine for the potatoes to fall apart or pile up a bit. Make the potatoes all fit on the plate. We don’t want more dishes!
Once the potatoes are all smashed, mash butter into the potatoes. I use softened butter, but if you don’t have it soft, the potatoes will be hot enough to melt the butter. Expect to use at least four to five tablespoons of butter.
Then you will want to season the potatoes. I love to use my roasted garlic and herbs mix along with salt and pepper. Don’t have a garlic obsession like I have? You can just use salt and pepper on these easy cheesy potatoes.
Easy Loaded Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
Now comes the cheese. Without cheese, you can’t have a loaded baked potato? Use a full two cups of cheese. I cannot help myself when it comes to cheese. If a little is good, a lot is better!
Pop the plate in the microwave again for a minute. Then keep microwaving until all the cheese is completely melted. When the cheese is melted, you can go ahead and eat these quick cheesy loaded potatoes the way they are right now. But, if you love a loaded cheesy baked potato, keep going.
Add sour cream.
Add chives or green onions.
Don’t know what to eat with these quick loaded cheesy potatoes? Let me suggested these crock pot cheesy garlic and brown sugar pork chops.
Comfort Food Recipes
Easy Cheesy Potatoes - Quick Loaded Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
- 3 pounds small red potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons roasted garlic and herbs seasoning optional
- 2 cups shredded colby-jack or cheddar cheese
- Sour cream, bacon bits, chives or green onions optional
- On a large dinner plate, place the clean red potatoes on the plate. Stab the potatoes with a fork at least in two different places.
- Microwave on high for ten minutes or until the potatoes are tender to a fork insertion.
- When soft, smash the potatoes with a fork. Then spread the butter over all the smashed potatoes.
- Season with the salt and pepper. Then add the garlic, if you are using it.
- Cover in the shredded cheese. Microwave for another minute. If the cheese is not melted, microwave in 30-second increments until melted.
- Top the potatoes with any additional toppings you like on loaded potatoes including sour cream, chives, and bacon bits.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases