When you are eating low-carb, it is sometimes incredibly hard to make a meal everyone can enjoy if someone is not also eating a low-carb diet plan. I am constantly trying to create versatile recipes that are easy to serve the whole family. Cube steak beef stroganoff recipe is one that is made gluten-free and can be served over noodles or rice for your family while it is also great over cauliflower rice for a low-carb beef stroganoff. Your family may not even mind your low-carb beef stroganoff if they love cauliflower.
This is also a super quick meal like my traditional ground beef stroganoff recipe that can be done in under 30 minutes. This is one of the things I love about cube steak. It cooks quickly. Cube Steak Beef Stroganoff is perfect for a busy weeknight meal.
Cubed Steak Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
Using beef cubed steaks to make beef stroganoff is a great way to use a lower-cost cut of beef. There is also flexibility in the starch you serve with the cooked beef stroganoff.
The ingredients for this stroganoff can be traditional or gluten-free. Here is what you need to make this easy skillet meal.
- Cubed Steaks - Beef cube steaks a thinly cut round steaks that have been tenderized. You can find them in your fresh beef section.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup - A traditional cream of mushroom soup can be used. Gluten-free options include a homemade gluten-free cream of mushroom soup or you can buy gluten-free Progresso cream of mushroom soup
- Beef Base - For the beef base, I recommend using Better than Bouillon roasted beef base. It has a great flavor to enhance the beef.
- Sour Cream
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Steak Seasoning
How to Make Beef Stroganoff with Cube Steak
Start by slicing the cube steak against the grain. This will help make it more tender. I end up cutting at a diagonal to the cubing cuts. When the steak is sliced, add to a hot skillet with a tablespoon of butter and steak seasoning. When the beef is browned on all sides, add more butter plus the beef base, sliced onions, and mushrooms.
Stir the onions and mushrooms into the cube steak strips. After several minutes, the onions and mushrooms should be soft. Add the cream of mushroom soup and sour cream to the beef, onions, and mushrooms. I also add additional diced onions now too. I love the taste of fresh onions in my beef stroganoff.
Stir to combine and bring up to a slow bubble and turn to low heat. At this point, you are ready to serve. While the meat is cooking, you can prepare your noodles, rice, or cauliflower rice for the bed of the cube steak beef stroganoff.
Variations to the Beef Stroganoff
Change up the recipe to meet your dietary needs. The base you serve the stroganoff on is the key to making sure the diet needs are met.
- Low-Carb Beef Stroganoff: The low-carb beef stroganoff is the perfect comfort food. You seriously will be treating yourself to comfort food with this recipe. Just switch out the cream of mushroom soup for an additional tablespoon of butter, ½ cup of heavy cream, and a teaspoon of xanthan gum. Even if your family isn't eating low-carb they won't mind this version of the recipe.
- Gluten-Free Beef Stroganoff: Using the gluten-free cream of mushroom soup and gluten-free pasta, rice, or potatoes, you can easily enjoy this comfort food
Storing Leftover Beef Stroganoff
Cube Steak beef stroganoff also heats up perfectly for leftovers the next day. I always make a double batch so I can take some to work for lunch too.
- Refrigerator Storage - Store the leftover beef stroganoff in airtight plastic or glass containers for no more than 5 days in the fridge. Leftover pasta, rice, potatoes, or cauliflower rice can also be stored in the same container.
- Freezer Storage - Beef stroganoff can be frozen in freezer containers or bags for up to 3 months.
Reheating the leftovers can be simple. Microwaving the refrigerator leftovers is the easiest way to go. You can also place it back in a saucepan on the stove and reheat it as well. For the frozen leftover, place them in the fridge 24 hours before you are wanting to eat them. Then reheat in a saucepan on the stove or in the microwave in a microwave save bowl.
Cube Steak Recipes
Making dinner with cubed steaks can be a great way to have affordable meals. Here are some of our favorite cube steak recipes.
Cube Steak Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 pound beef cube steak
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon beef paste
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 1.5 cups gluten-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 pound noodles, rice, or rice cauliflower
- Slice the cube steak against the grain or on a diagonal to the cubing marks. Place in a large skillet over medium-high heat with one tablespoon of butter and the steak seasoning.
- When the steak is browned, add ¾ of the diced onion, all of the mushrooms, beef better than bouillon, and the remaining butter. Stir to combine and cook for several minutes until onions and mushrooms are soft.
- To the skillet then add the cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Stir to combine. Add the remaining onions. Cook until the sauce begins to bubble and turn to simmer.
- While you are making the stroganoff, prepare the noodles, rice, or cauliflower rice to serve the stroganoff on.
Shared on Weekend Potluck.