Smoked beef short ribs may be my new favorite grilled food from the Big Green Egg. I love Instant Pot beef short ribs where I cook them in butter and red wine. For these grilled short ribs I used that for inspiration for this smoked short rib recipe.
Grilled beef short ribs on the Big Green Egg are smoked with a beef barbecue rub and then slow-cooked to their final temperature in a bath of red wine, butter, and beef broth. These short ribs will be melt in your mouth deliciousness. You won't be able to get your hands on beef short ribs fast enough.
Grilled Beef Short Ribs Ingredients
Two phases of preparations for these smoked beef short ribs. For the smoking portion of this recipe, you will need short ribs cut into individual pieces and your favorite bbq seasoning or dry rub.
- KC Cowtown All-Purpose Barbeque Seasoning
- Weber Texas Brisket Rub from Sam's Club
The second phase is the braising and bathing on the smoker. For this phase of the recipe, you will need the liquids.
- Dry red wine
- Worcestershire sauce
- Better than Bouillon
Then you will need a stick of butter on stand-by for the bathing of the grilled short ribs once they have been smoked.
To start, cut the slab of short ribs apart into individual ribs. If there is a membrane on the underside of the short ribs, peel it off as well. It will be the side with the bone.
To prepare the smoker for these smoked beef short ribs, get your lump charcoal and woodchips hot and then back down to 250°. Put the diffuser plate over the charcoal and then a pan of water on the diffuser. Place the grates in place. Then put the beef short rib bone side on the grates.
Smoke for two hours and then brush them with the red wine, Worcestershire sauce, and beef bouillon broth. Every thirty minutes, baste the ribs again. When the short ribs reach 165°, move them into the pan of red wine, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, and butter.
In a disposable aluminum pan, place the short ribs. Then pour the combination of red wine, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, and butter over the beef short ribs. Cover and continue to smoke the ribs in the red wine braise until the short ribs reach 205 degrees.
When the short ribs come off the grill, let them rest. I let mine rest for at least an hour in a cooler to stay warm. Just like I do with brisket and pork shoulders. Serve these short ribs with your favorite barbeque side dishes.
Big Green Egg Recipes
Smoked Beef Short Ribs
- 2 pounds beef short ribs
- ¼ cup BBQ rub
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup butter
- Preheat your smoker to 250° with lump charcoal and the smoking wood of your choice.
- Cut apart the short ribs into indvidual ribs. If there is a membrane on the backside of the ribs, remove it as well. Coat the short ribs in the BBQ seasoning.
- If you using a Big Green Egg to smoke, place the diffusing plate on the grill. Place a drip pan with water in it on the diffuser, then cover with the grate.
- Place the short ribs on the grill bone side up.
- Smoke for two hours. Then start basting with the combination of beef broth, red wine, and Worcestershire sauce every thirty minutes until the meat reaches 165 degrees.
- When the short ribs get to 165°, place the short ribs in a pan. Then combine the basting juice with the melted butter and pour over the short ribs.
- Cover with aluminum. Then continue to smoke until the short ribs reach 203-205°.
- Let rest for an hour in a cooler to keep them warm.
- Arroz Con Pollo - Mexican Chicken and Rice with Queso - March 28, 2021
- Air Fryer Broccoli Recipe- Ninja Foodi Broccoli - March 25, 2021
- Air Fryer Ravioli - How to Make Toasted Ravioli in the Air Fryer - March 13, 2021