Taco Shepherd’s Pie is an easy taco casserole made with leftover mashed potatoes, ground beef, corn, cheese, and peppers in the crock pot or oven. Crock pot shepherd’s pie is literally made no differently than the baked version, just needs 2-3 hours in the casserole crock pot. Either way is delicious and always easy to put together for a hearty weeknight dinner.
Making this mashed potato taco casserole was easy to do and Mexican food is our favorite type of food so changing up my cheesy shepherd’s pie to a taco version was a logical twist. The mashed potatoes that went on top of the casserole could have easily been my copycat Abuelo’s papas con chile.
Taco Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients
- Ground beef
- Ground pork – Double the ground beef could work as well. Turkey is also acceptable.
- Corn – Canned is what I used, but frozen would work too.
- Onions – Diced
- Bell peppers – Diced
- Taco seasoning – Your favorite brand
- Mashed potatoes – Leftovers are perfect but I have been known to use the Bob Evan’s store-bought for this recipe too.
- Sour cream
How to Make Crock Pot Shepherd’s Pie
To make shepherd’s pie in the crock pot, begin by frying your ground beef and ground pork in a skillet. Add the diced onions and peppers to the skillet with the meat. When the meat is cooked, then add the taco seasoning to the skillet.
Simmer for another few minutes to ensure as much liquid as possible is evaporated off. While the meat cooks, heat up your mashed potatoes, either leftover or mashed potatoes for this shepherd’s pie. When the potatoes are heated up so they are stirrable, stir the sour cream into the mashed potatoes. Then start building the crock pot shepherd’s pie in the casserole crock pot.
Start building the shepherd’s pie by spreading the meat, peppers, and onions at the bottom of the casserole crock pot. Follow that with the drained can of corn, then the shredded cheese. Finally, spread the mashed potatoes over the top of it all.
Tips for Making Taco Shepherd’s Pie in the Crock Pot
- You will need two pounds of ground meat. I like the combination of ground pork and ground beef in Mexican dishes. You can definitely just use ground beef or even ground turkey in this recipe too.
- Yes, there will be quite a bit of juice in the bottom of the casserole. I have the same thing when it is baked as well.
- Can this be baked in the oven? Absolutely! Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- What other vegetables can be used in taco shepherd’s pie? If you are not a corn person, peas and carrots would also be good in this recipe
Ground Beef Recipes
Crock Pot Taco Shepherd's Pie
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning or two envelopes
- 1 can corn
- 2 cups shredded colby-jack cheese
- 2½ cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup sour cream
- Brown the ground meat in a skillet. When the meat is almost brown, add the onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Finish cooking the ground beef and then add the taco seasoning to the meat. Simmer and stir to combine before pouring into the crock pot casserole dish.
- Top the taco meat with the drained can of corn. Then spread the shredded cheese over the corn.
- Heat the mashed potatoes unitl they are soft enough to stir and stir in the sour cream. Top the casserole off with the mashed potatoes. Spread completely over the top of the casserole.
- Slow cook for 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low.