Gluten-free mushroom soup, really, why? Well, because, this is a staple at my house these days. Many people wrinkle up their nose at any recipe with cream of anything soup in it, I sometimes love the creaminess creamed soup can add. However, the base of most cream soups is flour. And flour is sometimes hard on some of our stomachs. Mine in particular. Which is why I have figured out how to do an easy gluten-free cream of mushroom soup at home on the fly when I have a recipe that is calling for cream of mushroom soup.
While sometimes I like to live in denial about being sensitive to gluten, my family will promise you eating wheat can leave me in a world of hurt. So, for their sake and mine, I do my best to avoid wheat. My close friends have even started stocking gluten-free crackers at their house for when I come over. That is a sign of true friendship right there. They aren't cheap and they aren't that good, but they still buy them so I can freely snack.
Now, some of you are probably thinking, wait, I have eaten with you and you ate bread or pasta. Yes, yes I probably have. And I pay dearly later for those choices, but I also hate being that person who demands the world change for me. So, I just roll with it.
Back to the gluten-free cream of mushroom soup. This is pretty easy and uses ingredients most should have on hand.
- Mushrooms - Button mushrooms work well for this. You don't want to hard of a mushroom like a portabella mushroom.
- Butter - Flavor and fat to make this soup taste rich and creamy.
- Cornstarch - If you are going to thicken soup without wheat flour, cornstarch is a perfect substitute. If you are also avoiding cornstarch, then xanthan gum will also work.
- Milk - Regular 2% milk will work just fine for this recipe. Skim probably isn't the best, so if you only have skim, mix in some half and half or heavy cream.
How to Make Homemade Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup?
I start with diced up button mushrooms and a tablespoon of butter. Saute the mushrooms till they shrink to about 50% of the size. While the mushrooms saute, mix together cornstarch and milk. I do two tablespoons per one cup of milk. But honestly, sometimes, I don't want the soup this thick, so I adjust. But, for a standard recipe, this will work.
Add two teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce, Lea & Perrins is a GF brand, to the mushrooms and butter. Follow with milk and corn starch to the mushrooms and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Stir over medium heat till boiling. Let boil for one minute and remove the gluten free cream of mushroom soup from heat.
Yep, that is all folks. I told you. Easy. Simple. Completely doable in a pinch. Now, if you need a great recipe to make with this gluten-free cream of mushroom soup, try these Crock Pot Pepsi Pork Chops.
Recipes that use Cream of mushroom soup
Now that you have this gluten-free cream of mushroom soup recipe, make some delicious recipes you have been craving.
Gluten-Free Soup Recipes
Easy Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ½ cup diced button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 teaspoons Gluten Free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Saute the mushrooms in butter over medium heat till the mushrooms shrink to half the size.
- Mix cornstarch and milk together and set aside.
- Once mushrooms are shrunk, add Worcestershire sauce to mushrooms.
- Add milk and cornstarch combination to mushrooms. Add salt and pepper.
- Stir over medium heat till boiling. Boil for one minute and remove from heat.
Affiliate links were used in this post.