Want to convert Brussels Sprouts haters into lovers? This very quick-cooked shaved Brussels Sprouts recipe may just do that. When Brussels Sprouts are shredded like cabbage and quickly sauteed in bacon grease before being topped off with lemon juice, this recipe has made Brussels sprouts haters, lovers. This same base recipe could also be easily converted into a Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad too.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts with bacon sauteed on the stovetop and finished off with some lemon juice is the fastest way to make brussels sprouts side dishes. When you need a quick vegetable, the shaved brussels sprouts recipe is the way to go.
Ingredients for Sauteed Shaved Brussels Sprouts
The star of the show for this recipe is obviously the Brussels Sprouts and the BACON. However, to make these Brussels to perfection, you will need the following ingredients:
- Brussels Sprouts - Fresh sprouts are a must for this recipe. Frozen will not work well and absolutely no canned sprouts. I don't even know if canned is an option.
- Bacon - Thin bacon. Thick bacon. Pepper Bacon. Any bacon. Whatever your pleasure, that is what will work in this recipe.
- Lemon Juice - Fresh squeezed lemon juice brings the flavors together with the salty bacon with the sweet, nutty flavors from the Brussels Sprouts.
- Salt and Pepper - The salt and pepper is needed to just finish it off for the dinner table.
How to Make Shaved Brussels Sprouts
To make this easy Brussels Sprouts recipe, begin by "shaving" the sprouts. You can either do this by just slicing the Brussels Sprouts thinly or using a mandoline to slice them very thin.
When the sprouts are shaved, it is time to start sauteing. Begin, but cut up the bacon into tiny pieces if you are not using the bacon pieces I used. Fry the bacon in the bottom of the cast-iron skillet. When the bacon is fried, drain the majority of the grease, leaving a tablespoon reserve.
Add the shaved Brussels Sprouts to the top of the bacon in the cast iron skillet. Stir to combine with the bacon and cook for 2-3 minutes until they just begin to wilt. Remove them from the heat and squeeze half a lemon over the top. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Serve these shaved brussels sprouts alongside your favorite pork chop or steak recipe. It is a perfect side or honestly meals if you are looking for something light and quick.
Side Dish Recipes
Always on the hunt for a good vegetable side dish. These are a few of my favorite side dishes.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 pound Brussels Sprouts
- 1 whole lemon
- 1 teaspoon Salt and Pepper
- Over a cast-iron skillet over medium heat, cut bacon with scissors into quarter to half-inch pieces. Cook until half fried.
- While the bacon fries finely chop the Brussels Sprouts to be very thinly sliced or use a mandoline to slice them.
- Remove the majority of the grease from the skillet and then add Brussels Sprouts. Sautè for 2-3 minutes until the Brussels Sprouts just begin to wilt.
- Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper and squeeze lemon juice over the vegetables.
- Sheet Pan Pork Tenderloin andPotatoes - May 30, 2023
- Sea Breeze Cocktail - Vodka Cranberry Grapefruit Drink - May 6, 2023
- Italian Coleslaw - April 30, 2023