Crock Pot smoked sausage, cabbage, and potatoes is an easy dinner idea using garden fresh vegetables like cabbage, potatoes, onions, and carrots that have been slow cooked in the juices from the smoked sausage. This dinner was a favorite for me growing up. Definitely a German food favorite.
This is a change-up to one of my family's favorite recipes that combine smoked sausage, potatoes, and green beans. Our family loves smoked sausage. They are actually indifferent to cabbage but do love themselves some cole slaw. This recipe was so full of flavor and definitely a great summer dinner recipe.
Smoked Sausage, Cabbage, and Potatoes Ingredients
While the name of the recipe would make you think it just is a three-ingredient recipe, I use a few more ingredients to make these flavors together.
- Smoked Sausage
- Red Potatoes
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Slow Cooker Smoked Sausage, Cabbage, and Potatoes
Begin making this recipe by getting your 6-quart crock pot set to low before beginning to chop up the potatoes, onions, and cabbage. Slice the onions into thick slices. Quarter the potatoes and roughly chop the cabbage. Then layer into the crock pot starting with the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
Then add the cabbage, onions, and carrots. If you use large carrots chop them up as well. I used baby carrots and kept them whole. The carrots can also be left out of this recipe. The flavors will still be amazing. Salt and pepper the top of the vegetables.
Cut the smoked sausage into 2-3 inch pieces. Top the vegetables with the smoked sausage pieces.
Crock Pot Smoked Sausage, Cabbage, and Potatoes
- Crock Pot
- 2 pounds smoked sausage
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 pounds red potatoes
- 1 onion
- 8 ounces carrots
- salt and pepper
- Place the 6-quart crock pot on low.
- Quarter the potatoes and drop into the bottom of the crock pot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Chop the cabbage and slice the onions into thick slices and place on top of the potatoes. Then put the carrots on the cabbage and onions with more salt and pepper.
- Cut the smoked sausage into 2-3 inch pieces. Place on the vegetables.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Spicy Ranch 7-Layer Taco Dip - Single Serving Option - September 6, 2021
- Tomato Basil Sauce - Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe - September 2, 2021
- Cucumbers and Sour Cream - How to Make Cucumber and Sour Cream Salad - July 25, 2021