As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We love grilling steaks, but in Indiana sometimes I don’t want to stand outside and grill in the middle of winter. Ever wonder how to make a steak on the stove or in the oven? This cast iron skillet steak is a quick and easy way to make steak indoors.
We love steak. Now, sometimes when we want a steak in the middle of the winter we will fire up the Big Green Egg. But sometimes you just need a good cast iron skillet.
How to Make a Steak on the Stove
The key to successful steaks is thick steaks and a screaming hot skillet.
Let’s start with the steak. I wouldn’t make steaks this way unless they are an inch or thicker. If you like medium rare steaks, you best be going thicker than an inch. I would also use cuts of steak like ribeye, T-bone, porterhouse, filet or New York Strip. A sirloin might work ok, but I haven’t tried a sirloin this way.I would also go with a steak that is labeled “choice” and has a good amount of fat. See the flecks of fat in the muscle of the ribeye steaks below.
Start by taking the steaks out of the fridge and let them rest for 15 -30 minutes on the counter. Get the oven to 350 degrees and warming the skillet over medium-high heat. I use a simple steak seasoning like Montreal Steak Seasoning or Weber Steak and Chop Seasoning. Season both sides of the steak with seasoning and put a little oil in the pan.
Sear both sides of the steak for 2 minutes on each side.
Then put in the oven for 6-10 minutes depending on the way you like your steak prepared. For more rare closer to 6 minutes. As soon as the steak is done put pats of butter on each steak and remove from the cast iron skillet. It is a really great idea to have a good meat thermometer. Then you will know the exact temperature of your steaks to have the best doneness.
Then let your meat rest. Seriously.
Enjoy your steak prepared indoors in less than 15 minutes. These steaks are perfect with Keto Creamed Spinach. Both can be ready in under 15 minutes making the perfect dinner. Love pork chops too? Don’t miss out on our Pan-Fried Pork Chops either.
More Great Steak Recipes
How to Make a Steak on the Stove?
- 2 ribeye T-Bone, filet, or New York Strip steaks, an inch or thicker
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Set steaks out of the fridge for 15-30 minutes prior to preparing to make steak.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On the stove top heat cast iron skillet till it is hot over medium-high heat.
- Season both sides of the steak and put oil in the hot skillet.
- Sear both sides of the steak for two minutes and place the skillet of steaks in the oven for 6-10 minutes.
- For more rare steak cook closer to 6 minutes more well done, closer to 10 minutes.
- As soon as you pull the steaks out, put a pat of butter on each steak and remove immediately from the skillet.
- Let rest for five minutes before eating.
Affiliate links were used
- Bacon Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms – Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms - June 28, 2020
- Easy Summer Dinner Ideas - June 22, 2020
- The Ultimate Baked Tacos – Creamy Ground Beef Baked Tacos - June 13, 2020