As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
For those who are trying to watch their carb intake, finding a filling soup can be a challenge. This crock pot low-carb lasagna soup was super simple keto soup recipe and loved by my family who isn’t on a low-carb diet. Creamy, rich, and meaty make this crock pot low-carb lasagna soup recipe one I will make over and over.
I know lots of you have probably tried my crock pot low-carb taco soup. This soup is very similar but a few easy tweaks to make it really taste like lasagna. Hearty is the best way to describe this lasagna soup. I make a yummy lasagna soup with pasta and really was craving it. I used the lasagna soup for inspiration for this low-carb lasagna soup.
The base of the soup is ground pork. Easily can substitute ground beef for the pork. Either will work just fine. I cook the ground pork directly in the crock pot.
While the meat is cooking, have onions, fire-roasted canned tomatoes, and seasonings in the crock pot. Here are the seasonings I use.
- Italian Sausage Seasoning – I use Penzeys Italian sausage seasoning. There are several different brands on Amazon.
- Italian Herbs – Again, I reach for Penzeys Italian herb seasoning. It is seasoning mix of oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme, and rosemary.
How to Make Low-Carb Lasagna Soup
Break up the meat after it has cooked and then add beef broth. I added one can or two cups of beef broth to this soup. It was not very soupy, so if you like a runnier soup, feel free to add more liquid.
As for the creaminess for the soup, I actually put a cup of cottage cheese in the blender and liquify it. Then added another half cup of heavy whipping cream to the soup.
- Use full-fat ingredients. Low-carb dairy products tend to have higher carb counts. Go for the full-fat dairy.
- Watch for added sugar. Many seasonings are made with sugar in them. Read the ingredients in your seasoning mixes. If sugar is added to them, use the individual seasonings instead of a premade mix.
- Don’t overdo the garlic and onions. Both garlic and onions can carry more carbs than we think. Don’t put too many in the soup.
- Thicken with xanthan gum. If you want a thicker soup, don’t reach for the flour or cornstarch. Go for the xanthan gum, but note it can get gummy. A little goes a long way.
Trust me, you will not miss the pasta with this soup. The bonus really is no matter what kind of diet you are or are not on, this soup will be a favorite.
Get all the tips you need for a low-carb diet. How to stock your kitchen for low carb or keto dieting
- 2 pounds of ground pork or Italian sausage or ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Italian Sausage seasoning omit if using Italian sausage
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic diced
- 2 14.5- ounce cans of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of Italian blend herbs
- 2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes optional
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 2 cups of beef broth or one 14.5-ounce can
- 1 cup of cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or half and half
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves
- Place meat, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and seasonings in the crock pot on high for two hours.
- Break up meat and stir to combine. If meat is still pink, pour beef broth in the crock pot a let cook for another hour on high.
- When meat is cooked completely, place cottage cheese in the blender and liquefy.
- Pour into the soup along with the cream. Stir to combine.
- Turn crock pot to low and cook till ready to eat.
- Right before eating, stir in remaining cheeses or use as the garnish to each bowl of soup.
- Add fresh basil to each bowl of soup as well.
Other Low-Carb Soups
Be sure to check out all the great recipes for the weekly meal plan.
Affiliate links were used in this post. A portion of anything purchased from the links come back to me.